Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Dad, a living example of God, my heavenly Father

I knew this day was coming, but it is extremely difficult. Dad's dementia is worsening by the day. The last meaningful conversation I had with him was a few months ago in April. We were talking and he said, "I just want to tell you I love you before I don't know who you are anymore." That was a profound day because he also said, "I don't know if I'm going up or down," and he pointed up and then down. That's the day I baptised my 86 year old Dad. My 28-year prayer had finally been answered.

I love my Dad and I've always been a Daddy's girl. He's a flawed human being, but never in my entire 58 (nearly 59 years) have I ever doubted that he loved me. I know for a fact that he would walk through fire for me. My Dad is a living example of God, my heavenly Father. Now, I seek God's direction and help in making sure that my Dad knows that I would walk through fire for him.

The dementia has stolen my Dad's mind but not his beautiful spirit. I know one day, he will be restored and we will sit down in the heavenly places, under a tree, once again having wonderful conversations.

Dear God,
Thank you for helping us as we walk this difficult road today. And, thank you the incredible love and sacrifices my Dad has made for me all of my life.

Praying Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment