Monday, July 6, 2009

Taking a Bird Break



At 3:45 p.m. today, I am deciding to take a short break, a "bird break" that is. You see, I recently rearranged my desk so that I could actually look out my window. I thought since there's nothing back here to look at, that I would make a little oasis outside my window. I purchased a small bird feeder and installed it right at my eye level.

It didn't take long before birds were flocking to the feeder. After several weeks now, I am feeding my feathered friends regularly. Some days I have to reload the bird feeder up to three times before I go home!

I've seen Sparrows, Cardinals, Doves, Finches (one of them is as red as a Cardinal) and an occasional pair of ugly Black Crows. I watched the other day as a small squirrel scampered over and started helping himself to the seeds knocked to the ground.

I have my own tiny nature center going on right outside my window. They are bringing me great joy and breaking up my day. I love taking my "bird breaks" throughout the day reminding me that the wild things are still near even in the city. And maybe, just maybe, there's a small bit of the wild still in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment