Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eunice Kennedy Shriver Leaves a Legacy

Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder of Special Olympics, passed away this morning. She was 88 years old. I never met the lady, but she extraordinarily changed the lives of countless people with intellectual disabilities. Her story is a magnificent testament of what one person can do to change the world.

I was invited to go to one of the first Special Olympics events in Houston, Texas back in 1969. I didn't go. I didnt' think it was cool. I had better things to do with my life as a Sophomore in high school. What a silly, selfish, self-centered teenager I was!


It wasn't until 2002 that I was introduced to Special Olympics, once again in Texas. My entire family from Tulsa traveled to Rowlett, Texas to watch Taylor, my nephew compete in a Special Olympics Summer Games event. As I sat in the stands, I was ecstatic to see the joy on my nephew's face. He was running and laughing, thoroughly enjoying the attention and the excitement of the day's events.

Something else struck a chord in me, though. It was the jubilation and pride that I saw in my brother, sister-in-law, and their two other children. Here they were, in a football stadium, with a crowd of screaming fans cheering on their son. This was something that was incredible to behold. I suppose their joy is what touched my heart the most. It was not just my nephew's joy, but his entire family's joy (including my own family's joy) that put us all on cloud nine.
Little did I know that a year later, I would be employed by Special Olympics Oklahoma. That connection had been made long before my employment, and I see life-changing events on a regular basis now.

We have Eunice Kennedy Shriver to thank for her vision to see beyond people's limitations. She started a movement that will not be stopped. We still repeat the motto that she recited at the very first 1968 Special Olympics Games at Soldier Field in Chicago.

"Let me win. But, if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."

Thank you, Eunice Kennedy Shriver for your service to all those with intellectual disabilities. My condolences go out to her family. May her legacy of love and determination for all those with intellectual disabilites live on through you.

A wonderful website has been created to chronicle Eunice Kennedy Shriver's life. Visit http://www.eunicekennedyshriver.org/. Then, give thanks to God for this incredible woman's life.

Donna Ham

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment